A friend of mine told me that, instead of Missy, I should have named my new home Messy.
Can you believe that!?!?!
Clearly, I need to present some “cleaner” photos for ya’ll. I think I can do that this week! There has been much progress!!
Obviously, ripping stuff out and cleaning continues. Actually, I’m not sure cleaning ever ends – it hasn’t in my lifetime but maybe that’s just me.
I think nearly everything that can be ripped out has. Well, almost… The big exception is what remains of the lavatory. Pulling the remainder of it out is a BIG project and will leave a big gaping hole in the back end of the bus. I’m not ready to tackle the repair of that hole yet. Plus, I’m hoping that the little bus conversion elves will show up one of these nights when I’m sleeping and take care of it for me.
I went over most of the interior (not the foam) with a wet soapy rag. Wow – lots of yuck!! I’m sure some of this was from all of the steel grinding that has been done.
Then I mopped. Double WOW! I used three buckets of water and they were all very BLACK! I probably could have kept going but I was tired of mopping and the mop head was shot. I should have taken a photo!
It was truly MESSY!!
I think it may be the first actual “construction” task performed!! I cut out a plywood divider for the basement and painted it with Duratex speaker coating. A really nice looking “textured” coating! This panel was then mounted in the basement and I started installing some of the electrical components for the house. A long ways to go on that project but spending some time “building” instead of “destroying” felt really great!
Left to right; 5000 watt inverter, primary circuit breaker panel, smart battery charger, 30 amp transfer switch (inverter or shore power – this is going to replaced with a 50 amp switch), secondary circuit breaker panel, 50 amp transfer switch (shore or generator). Still have a number of components to install.
With the interior floor clean, I decided to toss down some of the base flooring that I had hoped to use. I wanted to see how solid the floor felt. I had originally planned to pull out all the old/original plywood and replace with entirely new wood but the existing is in good condition (though it has some flex) and leaving it would save a few bucks and loads of time (and effort!!). Win-Win! The floor feels very good with the 7/16″ OSB panels laid down. I have ordered 1/4″ cork that will go under these panels (for sound deadening) and then the wood floor and carpet (in the bedroom) will go down on top of the OSB. Some reports indicate that OSB is better at absorbing (or deadening) sound, I’m hoping that is true. A friend recommend MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and that does appear to be an excellent product. I decided not to use it since I was sandwiching it between two layers of sheeting (it works best when floating) and it is really expensive! Cork was much less expensive and also reported to be a good sound deadener. I hope I’m happy with my choice!!
I also hope poor Missy no longer looks so messy! 🙂