As previously noted (here), the Onan 7000 generator on my Pace Arrow motorhome was not working when I purchased it. Normally, this would be a deal breaker as the troubleshooting and (gasp) replacement cost could be huge. However; I got a very good deal and I was expecting, even hoping for, a project. I’ve found that filling my time with projects is a good thing.
Getting the generator working was a high priority.
I started by replacing the typical things – air filter and spark plug. No luck. She would not even fire. Everyone knows, a gas engine requires three things, spark, fuel, and air.
A bit of analysis indicated a lack of fuel was at least part of the problem. Removing the fuel line and attempting to start the engine resulting in nothing happening. Odd, some fuel should come out of the hose.
My setup has an electric fuel pump energized when the engine is starting/running. I hard wired this pump to a spare battery and it ran just fine. However; no fuel came out. Aha! We are making progress now.
Disconnecting the hose from the fuel tank to the pump, at the pump and sucking on it got nothing but air. Blowing into it was more interesting – that uncovered a hole in the hose. The fuel pump was sucking but getting nothing but air. Fantastic! I replaced this 18″ piece of hose and magically fuel flowed from the hose at the carburetor.
I hooked everything back up the way it should be, hit the start button, and the generator purred to life!
Success – A functioning generator!!
Cost me a couple hours and one small chunk of fuel line that was stashed in my garage. That is an excellent DIY project result!! I hope this trend continues.